This meal takes around 45 minutes to prep and cook. I love it mid week as it all goes in the oven at the same temperature, and cous cous is so quick and easy. The methods have been laid out in real time as I make the dish. You will notice that I don’t use any oil in either the chicken or the vegetables, I am trying to reduce the amount that I use. If you want to add oil to the vegetables feel free, the chicken cooks in the liquid from the lemon so really doesn’t need it.
The amount of cous cous I have stated below will make enough for 4 portions. I usually cook for 2 in the evening, so by cooking 2 extra chicken breasts you will have enough for lunch the next day! Hope you enjoy.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Glass dish
- Mixing bowl
- Metal spoon
- Baking tray
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 2 lemons
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Ingredients- cous cous
- 200g dried cous cous
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- Half of a vegetable stock cube
- Vegetables to roast-your choice, I went with
- 2 courgette
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 red onion
- 3 large tomatoes diced
- 100g diced feta cheese.
- Combine the zest of 1 lemon and the juice of 2 lemons in a glass dish along with all of the herbs, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Flatten the chicken breasts slightly with a rolling pin (or if you are like me, with a clean wine bottle!)
- Place the chicken breasts in the juice, herb and garlic mixture, making sure to cover well.
- Leave to one side.
Method roasted vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 200oC-Gas mark 6
- Chop the vegetables in to small chunks-you want to be able to eat with a fork, so minimal cutting post cook!
- Put all of the vegetables-apart from the tomatoes in to a baking tray along with the salt and pepper (cooking the tomatoes for 30 minutes will cause them to turn to mush)
- Put on a high tray in the oven for 30 minutes, turning the vegetables after 15 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of cooking, remove from the oven and add the diced tomatoes (this way they retain flavour and texture)
- Leave to cool while you cook the cous cous-you don’t want to add the piping hot vegetables to the cous cous, you just want them to be warm.
- When you turn the veg after their first 15 minutes in the oven put the chicken in on a middle shelf
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
Method Cous cous
- Once the vegetables have been removed from the oven, combine the dried cous cous with all of the spices, stock, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Cover with 400ml boiling water from the kettle.
- Cover the bowl in cling film and leave for 5 minutes to cook
- Once cooked stir through the slightly cooled roasted veg.
- Place the roasted vegetable cous cous on a plate and scatter the diced feta on top
- Remove the chicken from the oven and serve 1 chicken breast per portion
- Use the cooking juices to keep the chicken moist, and if you like to dress the cous cous with a lemony zing.
- Optionally serve a mixed leaf salad on the side